The International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC) welcomes applications for the position of Data Scientist. This is a new position and we want to take our existing data collation and analysis to the next level ensuring that we are global leaders in cotton data provision. The successful applicant will form an important part of the ICAC’s Cotton and Textiles Team.
This position is a senior executive post reporting to the Executive Director and is based in Washington, DC, but involves domestic and international travel. The working language of the Secretariat is English.
The selected candidate will be expected to work flexibly on a wide range of assignments, both independently and as part of the cotton team, and to multi-task with an orientation to results. Main duties are summarised as follows:
- Providing statistical data and strong and well-researched substantive analysis and strategic steer to the ICAC and its member governments.
- Maintaining the main database of the ICAC to include numerous datasets relating to cotton and textiles.
- Maintain the ICAC Cotton Data Book.
- Contribute to the design and production of automated reports and dashboards.
- Support the cotton team in the design and implementation of data collection efforts.
- Statistical and econometric analysis, compilation, presentation and dissemination of statistical data.
- Preparation of weekly, monthly, bi-monthly and annual reports on world cotton supply and use.
- Written and oral presentations to the Standing Committee in Washington, to each Plenary Meeting and to world cotton industry organisations as requested.
- Locate and define new data analysis process improvement opportunities.
- Collaborate with the cotton data team to improve data flows, data quality, etc.
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimise statistical efficiency and quality.
- Identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns, using basic machine learning techniques, statistical methods to identify relevant features and variables in structured and unstructured sources of information and data for cotton, cotton products and other commodities.
- Develop and implement various analysis, reporting and quality control capabilities in support of the members of the Cotton and Textiles team.
- Visual representation (graphical/ interactive) of the database for easy understanding of numbers.
- Liaise with data analysts of sister organisations like the WTO, OECD, World Bank, UNCTAD, ITC, USDA, etc as and when necessary.
- Advanced degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Statistics, Econometrics or related field.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in software applications such Microsoft Excel, SQL, R or Python and the ability to work with large, linked datasets.
- Demonstrate innovative approaches to data presentation.
- Good understanding of data visualisation and machine learning.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with the ability to collect, organise, manage, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to analyse, model and interpret data in support of decision-making, and convey information succinctly to management.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Attention to detail and record keeping abilities.
- Investigative and analytical mind.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with colleagues from diverse cultures.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in applied analytics, statistics or related area.
- Experience in using data to inform decisions, strategies and execution.
- Experience with self-service analytics and data visualisation applications (MS Power BI, Qlik, Tableau or similar).
- Fluency in a language other than English especially French, Spanish, Russian and Arabic.
- Knowledge of cotton or other agricultural commodities.
The International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC) is the intergovernmental organisation for the cotton and textile value chain, based in Washington, DC (www.icac.org). The ICAC is the leading intergovernmental source of cotton related information and statistics on world cotton supply and demand.
Our Ideal Person
Apart from having the above qualifications, our ideal person for this position will also;
- show pride in their work and in their achievements;
- demonstrate professional competence and mastery of a subject matter;
- be conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- be motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- show persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remain calm in stressful situations;
- actively seek to improve programmes or services;
- offer new and different options to solve problems and think “outside the box”;
- take an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things and is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- be able to work as part of a dynamic close-knit team of dedicated cotton professionals.
What we can offer in return
You will be part of a close-knit, fun team that is dedicated to cotton. Our culture is one of continual learning and innovation. We are driven by our love for cotton and the fact that we can directly influence and help millions of people around the world, lifting many of them out of poverty. We will also offer a very competitive salary, commensurate with knowledge, training, and experience and benefits will also include a generous retirement package as well as health, life and disability insurance.
Ok, we know that we want the perfect employee to fit into our team and help us grow as well. 99% of you won’t fit this description so 99% of you need not apply. Can you turn numbers into stories that can inspire world leaders into action? Are you the 1% we are looking for?
Please send a CV & covering letter via e-mail to email@example.com.
Applications will be evaluated by the end of June and successful applicants will be invited to interview in July.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 9 July 2021.